Monday, September 10, 2012

Are you better off....?

It's a recurring question in the political drama that is filling the airwaves this summer: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" Of course, one party wants you to say no, no way, no how; the other hopes you've already found the silver lining in the dark cloud that is our economy. If you look at life from a strictly economic standpoint, then the answer for many of us could be no. After all, the stock market tanked four years ago and ate up most of my recently rolled over 401k (along with other folks') and at the same time my home value tanked. Shortly before President Bush left office, the southbound economy took my job with it, along with my health insurance and a big chunk of my identity. I have not found another full-time job, so my income is not only irregular, but only a fraction of what I made when I had a job. For a while, I'll admit, I floundered. I bought into the idea that without a job and a paycheck my life wasn't as good as it had been. I worked for the census, scoured the want ads and worried about what I would do as my unemployment ran out. Then I took a walk with a dog, took a few deep breaths and said a lot of prayers. Now, almost four years later, I would have to say that yes, I am better off, if not in the balance of my net worth. The fledgling business I started before I was laid off has turned into my new career. As well as boarding dogs, which I love, I apprenticed with a groomer and added baths and trims to the business. I don't make a ton of money, work my tail off in the summer, and spend a lot of time with very little to do in the winter. While I really miss the interaction with the community that was part of my former job, I've got a whole new family of dogs and their people. The job is seven days a week (when there's anything to do) and holidays aren't down time, they are a busy time. There are no benefits, no wardrobe requirements (yes, I work in sweats and tees) and I pay my own insurance. At the same time, I don't have to worry about job security and the fitness plan (try walking up to 20 dogs a day) is great. I've made great friends and go to bed at night not only tired, but assured that I've done the job that I felt needed to be done in the way I wanted. Because my income fluctuates, I've learned to save. I can't count on the same income from week to week, so if it's a good week, I can't just spend it. There's no such thing as living from paycheck to paycheck. As a side effect of that, I'm eliminating debt (heck, I can't borrow any more). When the economy recovered enough for my retirement fund to pay off my house this summer, I did it. I saved enough money to trade cars and not have a car loan. I also put in a new heat pump and reroofed the house while there were energy credits for doing so. Next on my to-do list is a kitchen revamp (long overdue). Part of that frugal approach means we don't eat out like we did (have I mentioned my husband was only 9 months behind me in the layoff line?) With my old job, I was often too tired to cook, now it's still not a priority, but a long day won't end with dinner at a diner. I've got a garden and chickens (we had a lot of quiche this summer) and a freezer full of food. The eat-at-home option means not only cheaper eating, but healthier eating as well. We both have smaller sizes in the closet than we did four years ago. Money aside, the loss of a job has given me my life back. I go to church regularly, something my old job didn't allow, but which I practically write into my weekly schedule. Having that christian network to lean on makes my life richer and more stable. Taking time to worship and study God's word helps me feel better and be healthier at other levels. Even while those things alone would help me say my life is better, the addition of two wonderful granddaughters is the icing on the cake. The fact that I work at home means I'm able to care for them when their parents are both at work, an extra benefit of my change in career. They add a level of richness and excitement to my days that I would never have imagined four years ago. Yes, things have been tough at times and may be again. But losing my job was one of the best things that could have happened to me and my family. Ditto for my husband's career change. Am I better off? Maybe not when it comes to the way our society so often measures success, but I really don't measure it that way any more. In all the ways that count, my old life couldn't touch this one. The unequivocal answer to the question of the year, is your life better than four years ago, is yes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seems that there are a lot of us that have had sudden redirects in our life paths in recent years. Isn't it amazing that after we get through our initial despair, we are able to adapt and get our lives going again, maybe not anything near what they were, but in a more satisfying and enriched way. It was good to read your experience, thank you for sharing it. It's helpful to know that we are not alone in this world that in recent years suddenly turned upside down.